You’ve just come back from a long workout, and you need to rehydrate and restore your body for the next one. But you can’t face the fact that eating is also crucial during these times. You’re just, too tired to move, let alone chew a piece of jerky and drink your sports drink.
When athletes compete or train, they put their bodies through a great deal of strain. The training is designed to get their body prepared for the rigors of competition, but it also takes a toll on the body. Many athletes need some form of rehydration and restoration to ensure that they have the energy to give the best performance in their competitions.
One effective way out of this situation is IV therapy
IV therapy is not just for sick patients in hospitals. There are a lot of athletes who use this form of therapy to get their bodies and mind back into the game. Athletes participating in extreme sports such as Jaws, surfing, skydiving, and snowboarding have incredible needs for speed, strength, and endurance.
It’s not a secret that IV therapy has been used by athletes for decades now, to effectively rehydrate and restore their bodies. IV therapy involves the intravenous infusion of substances such as vitamins, minerals, or glucose (sugar water), but other substances are also used, including dextrose, amino acids, and sodium chloride.
In this blog, we take a look at how IV therapy for athletes helps to rehydrate and restore their bodies.
First, let’s take a look at the science behind IV therapy for athletes
The science behind IV Vitamin Therapy for Athletes
Professional Athletes will always experience a depletion in the macro and micronutrients due to the intensity of their physical routine. These nutrients must be restored especially the micro-nutrients. This is because micronutrients are crucial in the production of energy. Whenever athletes are engaged in an intense workout, the muscles produce energy in the form of ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) and during your intense workout, stores of micronutrients are used and when the stores of micronutrients diminish, that’s when the body feels fatigued and sore. And if you are in the middle of an intense workout, recovery is usually very difficult.
And this is why IV Vitamin therapy for athletes was invented. This treatment has a lot of benefits such as the rehydration of the body, elimination of fatigue and soreness.
For your body to get these benefits, it requires micronutrients which are often depleted after a workout. These nutrients include Vitamin B, B-complex, B5, B6, and B12 as well as other minerals like Zinc and magnesium to help in the processing of energy and the transportation of electrons.
Also, this treatment enhances the stimulation of the growth hormone by key amino acids like L-glutamine and L-arginine. The function of these two is to help improve your lean body mass and enable faster recovery. This simulation of the body’s growth hormone also helps in the building of stronger muscle cells, improves sex hormones like testosterone.
Iv Therapy treatment for athletes also contains L-carnitine which provides fuel for the production of energy.
Another set of nutrients worth of mention that works in delivering the benefits of the IV treatment are two antioxidants; Glutathione and vitamin C. These two help in the cleanup of inflammatory products your body is likely to generate during an intense workout.
In conclusion, IV Vitamin therapy for athletes contains all the ingredients and nutrients the body needs when you work out and the treatment is not exclusive to professional athletes. If you are someone who works out often, plays some form of sports, or runs, IV treatment is ideal and every IV drip can be customized for your specific needs.
Benefits of IV Therapy for Athletes
IV therapy is effective and works almost instantaneously that helping in the replenishment of the body’s electrolytes and restoration of nutrients/vitamins and fluids lost during workouts. This is possible because the nutrients from the IV fluid are directly absorbed into the bloodstream, and that makes it possible for the cells of the body to have immediate access to all the nutrients. Below are some of the benefits of IV therapy for athletes
- Hydration: This is one of the key things that guarantee an athlete’s success. Athletes need to hydrate before, during, and after a game. IV hydration helps athletes fast track their hydration giving them an added advantage during their activity as opposed to oral alternatives. IV hydration therapy for athletes not only helps to replenish lost fluid but also speeding up muscle recovery time
- Reduction of Muscle Recovery: Dehydration is terrible for an athlete as it causes muscle recovery delays thereby leading to symptoms like cramping, weakness, and increased heartbeat which harm an athlete’s performance. IV therapy for athletes, in this case, does not only help to replenish lost fluids but also contain additives like Dextrose, magnesium, and magnesium to help in speeding up muscle recovery
- Avert Leaky Gut: Also known as Intestinal hyper-permeability. This is an issue that is very common in athletes and is often caused by excessive training, toxic food digestion among other factors. In this condition, the above factors disrupt the thin lining of the intestine causing undigested food to leak out and mix with the immune system. The immune system considers this undigested food as foreign material and tries to remove them and this process which is similar to an allergic reaction can cause bloating or inflammation. To treat this condition, some athletes take ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory drugs but these drugs worsen the situation as they also disrupt the lining of the intestine with IV therapy, treatment which contains Zinc and L-glutamine, it reduces the possibility of having leaky gut
Other benefits of IV therapy for athletes are as follows;
- Efficient energy consumption
- Support of metabolism
- Enhancement of muscle strength and cellular repair
- Reduction of Oxidative stress in the body
Types of IV Vitamin Therapy for Athletes
In this segment, we take a look at the kind of IV therapy treatment and how they work
- Hydration IV: This type of IV therapy features a mix of fluids and electrolytes that helps to rehydrate the body quickly after an intense workout. This type of IV vitamin therapy treatment is ideal for everyone regardless of a person’s athletic level or training. This type of hydration IV features IV Fluids and electrolytes.
- Energy Boost IV: This type of IV therapy treatment is a mix of IV fluids, electrolytes, B-complex vitamins, and Vitamin C. Energy Boost IV is an IV treatment that essentially targets the body’s metabolism and boosts the energy levels to help take your workout to the next level.
- All-Inclusive IV treatment: This type of IV treatment contains all the necessary nutrients needed to help improve your workout, fast-track your recovery and help restore fluids and vitamins that help to wellness post-workout. This IV therapy features IV fluids, B-complex vitamins, Vitamin C, magnesium, Glutathione, and Amino acids
Post-workout IV therapy for Athletes
IV therapy treatment for athletes is not limited to just during workout or pre-workout, it can also work post-workout and help to quicken recovery.
Some of the benefits of post-recovery IV treatment are as follows;
- Quickens recovery
- Fast rehydration
- Quick restoration of electrolytes, vitamins, and fluids
Are you a fitness enthusiast or professional athlete in Miami or South Florida seeking IV hydration to improve your game?
IV Concierge is your plug.
Our Team with over a decade of experience provides intravenous (IV) infusions for elite athletes in Miami and South Florida. Whether you need IV nutrition, IV hydration, or IV energy drip we can provide it, on-site at your practice facility or in your home—at any time during workout or post-workout