There’s no magic pill for hangovers. Still, there’s one thing that many avid drinkers swear by: IV therapy. Knowing how to get rid of a hangover is made easier with this powerful infusion of hydrating fluids, nutrients, and medication.
Except for the blessed few who are resistant to hangovers, most of us have been in this terrible morning-after situation. The flurry of splitting headache, nausea, weakness, and confusion ruin what should’ve been a fun experience. Worse, it can last for more than 24 hours without a cure.
In this post, we will discuss how you can use IV therapy to cure hangovers. We will also help you choose the right infusion that targets your nasty symptoms.
What is a hangover?
A hangover is the body’s response to alcohol consumption. As our bodies try to expel the substance, we feel external discomfort at the same time.
This often occurs the following day after binge drinking. As blood alcohol levels increase, the body hyperdrives due to lost fluids and nutrients.
While each person reacts to alcohol differently, the following are the most common symptoms of hangovers:
- Muscle aches
- Fatigue and weakness
- Intense headaches
- Upset stomach
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dry mouth
- Sensitivity to light and sound
Causes of hangovers
What makes the body react so harshly to alcohol? The key here is understanding how alcohol content interacts with your system.
Here’s a quick rundown of what happens whenever you drink an alcoholic beverage:
- You lose lots of fluids. The ethanol in alcoholic drinks has a diuretic effect, making you urinate more. It makes you lose body fluids faster than usual, which leads to dehydration and headaches.
- Your blood sugar level falls. Alcohol can also make your blood sugar levels dip, causing muscle weakness and shaking. This will also negatively affect your mood and cause your blood pressure to fluctuate.
- Stomach acid floods your gut. As alcohol enters your digestive system, your body releases more stomach acid. This is to protect the stomach lining. However, it will trigger symptoms like vomiting, nausea, and abdominal pain.
- You lose nutrients and electrolytes. As your body flushes fluids in large amounts, it also drains nutrients and electrolytes in the process. This causes worse hangovers the next day.
How IV therapy works for hangovers
Intravenous (IV) therapy does a lot of wonders for your health. But it’s far from a magic potion.
This treatment has ingredients to restore your body faster than oral remedies or the so-called “hair of the dog”. For hangovers, this is a heaven-sent solution.
Here’s how it works in curing your hangover symptoms:
1. It replenishes your lost fluids.
Also, it’s not just regular water. IV therapy uses fluids filled with electrolytes to restore the balance in your system. It helps keep a healthy equilibrium on your body’s pH level, nerve health, muscle health, and more.
2. It delivers nutrients to your body.
The hydrating fluids of IV therapy can also be a vehicle for nutrient intake. It can be infused with vitamins, minerals, and medication to combat hangover symptoms fast.
Here at IV Concierge, we infuse hydrating fluids with various nutrients needed to curb the effects of alcohol.
In fact, we have formulated four hangover IV drips with different nutrients. Here’s a quick look:
- Pre-Party IV. This is made of fluids, vitamin B12, and vitamin C. It’s perfect for prepping your body before drinking.
- After-Party IV. This is formulated with fluids, vitamin B, vitamin C, magnesium, Zofran, and Toradol. It’s a medicated drip to resolve hangover symptoms fast.
- Black Out IV. This is made of the same ingredients as the After-Party IV drip but in a different dose. It’s intended to beat the worst and most severe hangovers.
- Banana Bag IV. This is an infusion of fluids, vitamin B-complex, folic acid, magnesium, and Ondansetron. It’s perfect for hangover relief with the added benefit of folic acid.
3. It doesn't cause further stomach upset.
Since the infusion is delivered to the bloodstream, it will not trigger further tummy troubles. This is a big help for those who experience vomiting and stomach upset during hangovers.
Since IV therapy doesn’t go through the digestive tract, IV drips also guarantee high absorption rates. This means little to no nutrients are wasted during the process. It also speeds up your hangover recovery.
4. Certified nurses administer the treatment
The beauty of IV therapy is that you’ll get a licensed nurse to help you with your hangover. You’ll have peace of mind that the treatment you’re receiving is safe and effective.
5. Your treatment is personalized
Unlike pre-packaged oral hydration products, IV therapy drips are tailor-fit for your needs. Here at IV Concierge, you can also get a lab test to see what nutrients you’re lacking, so it will be added to your infusion.
This makes IV therapy very effective in treating hangovers. You’re assured that your body receives the correct dose of every vitamin and mineral.
6. It can be done in your home.
Above all, you don’t have to go to the hospital to receive IV therapy. A mobile IV therapy company like IV Concierge will deliver the drip to your location.
This means you don’t have to get out of the house with a hangover. You can book your IV therapy session days before your party for guaranteed convenience.
Is IV therapy better than drinking water?
Hydration is a crucial part of recovering from a hangover. Drinking water is indispensable, but it’s not enough.
Aside from fluids, your body also loses a slew of nutrients. This includes much-needed electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals. Water alone can’t replenish these nutrients, which is why you may still feel the symptoms despite chugging several glassfuls.
It’s essential to pair fluids with nutrients, which is something that IV therapy does so well. This treatment allows you to receive nutrition without eating large amounts of food immediately.
Still, a proper diet is necessary for your full hangover recovery. Loading up on carbs is an excellent first step as you receive your intravenous drip.
IV therapy greatly helps with hangover recovery more than any oral hydration solution. It’s an effective way to fight dehydration and nutrient loss – two of the main culprits behind hangovers.
We can restore your body with personalized IV treatments that target the root cause of hangovers. Our experienced and licensed nurses will make the recovery process convenient by bringing the treatment to your home or anywhere you like.
Call us anytime before or even after your party for a hangover drip. We’ll make you feel better fast with our quality IV infusions.